Monday, March 14, 2016

First freelance job

I was looking through an old storage tub the other day filled with my issues of Juxtapoz, Star Wars Insider, Heavy Metal, etc. and came across a tattered copy of Transdimensional Times. People who lived in Columbus during the mid 90's might remember it - it was this crazy zine filled with government conspiracy, alien abductions, and is also the place where I consider my first freelance job to be printed. Back in 1996, I was a senior at Columbus College of Art and Design and through a mutual friend ended up doing ads for Stained Skin Tattoo and Body Piercing Studio located on High St. when it was owned by Durb Morrison. I got $10 to illustrate the ad and honestly I remember at the time not only being amazed someone was PAYING me to do art for them but also willing to get it printed. Since then I've had some amazing things done with my art (Hot Wheels, rock posters, motorcycle helmets, etc.) but I'll always remember the feeling of that first freelance job almost 20 years ago.

No comments: