Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Art Commentary part 1

Inspired by some recent podcasts and my love for the commentary tracks on DVDs, here's some back stories behind some of my pieces.

Chris Isaak - Borgata Music Box 2006

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


The concept for this piece came to me after days of false starts and lots of frustration. My favorite Chris Isaak album is Forever Blue and when I thought of the color blue, the first thing that popped into my head was this painting by Picasso called "The Old Guitarist" that ushered in his "Blue Period"

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


The Giant Peach Peach Monkey Ad - 2008

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This ad was inspired by a picture that was posted on Gigposters.com demonstrating a martial arts move where you grab your opponents testicles and literally rip them off, causing them to bleed to death. The name of the move? MONKEY STEALS THE PEACH as pictured below. YOUCH.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


and last but not least

Killers - Borgata Event Center 2006

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


When I saw promo materials for Sam's Town I noticed a distinctive Atlantic City Boardwalk feel to it and the first thing that popped into my head was the movie Big where Tom Hank's character makes a wish on a Zoltar fortune telling machine and becomes an adult but later becomes a kid again

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


The kind of weird thing was that when the album came out my favorite song was Read my Mind......cue creepy music.....

Anyway, that's all for now...if anybody wants to know the meaning behind a particular piece drop me a line and maybe I'll have it in a future installment....

No comments: