Wednesday, December 6, 2006

December


First post on what hopefully won't turn out to be a boring exercise in self indulgence. Well, it's December 2006, and like last year I am taking the month off to focus on painting and a few straggling jobs.

I've always had a unreasonable fear of painting - not with watercolor, but with acrylics or oil paints...well after some bad experiences in college with oil paints, that medium is pretty much off the table, but acrylics are another story. For the last couple years I've implemented little "training wheels" in my paintings in the form of thick linework, so I could deal with stuff almost like a coloring book. Unfortunately this has prevented me from painting realistically......currently I am working on two commission pieces and have taken off those training wheels and am really working hard to make some real breakthroughs in my painting skills....so far so good...I was having some rocky moments with the painting on the right, but a bout twenty hours into had one of those moments where you feel like a light went off in your head. Here's a couple more posters....last night I spent a couple hours working solely on the shoulder blade area of the angel with her wings ripped out piece.....

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Hopefully by the end of the month I'll have two fnished pieces that I'll be really proud of.

By the way, that easel is probably about the best thing I've ever bought for myself. Thank you , me.

No comments: